The "Friends of Lake Superior Park" was established in 1993 under a cooperative agreement with Ontario Parks. The Friends of Lake Superior Park is a not-for-profit and a registered Charity. It is one of the 13 Friends organizations with the Ontario Parks system. Information on other Friends organizations can be found here.
Niijkiwenhwag (nij-ki-wen-i-wog) is the Ojibwe word for "friends".
Our main purpose is to enhance the educational and interpretive programs in Lake Superior Provincial Park.
- extending work contracts for Natural Heritage Education (NHE)
- funding for NHE programs and equipment through an annual grant
- sponsoring a "Learn to Paint/Art Program" with local artists
- sponsoring music concerts and other special events
- providing internet service for staff and visitors at the Visitor Centre (donations by users welcomed)
- printing and sale of several publications about the park
- provide funds for special projects like the backcountry composting toilet at Warp Bay
- benches (can be sponsored) that visitors can use to enjoy the park scenery
- host a BBQ lunch on the Fall Colours Weekend event
- created and maintain the www.lakesuperiorpark.ca website to provide more information about the park
- Donations to the park - we can help - please contact us
Our main source of income comes from "Lake Effects" gift shop in the Visitor Centre at Agawa Bay. The store has clothing, cards, books, postcards, stamps, stuffed animals, Ontario Parks products, Lake Superior-themed items, works from local artisans, maple syrup and coffee by the cup. There is an internet-access computer that visitors can use. WiFi is available and a donation can be made to help The Friends provide this internet service.